Tuesday, December 18, 2007



I am going back to school......powerlifting school that is. Rod and I have made the decision that the only way to go forward is to take a step back. The main focus of this is my squat technique, and on Monday I started again with technique only - no bar, then moving to squat the bar only. I did this over and over again, and I am so sore right now. Who would have thought that multiple sets of 8 of a 20kg Olympic bar could cause so much havoc in a trained powerlifter. OUCH!!

For those of you interested in the technical aspects I am correcting 3 areas in particular.

  1. placement of the bar on my back; this has been moved down my back another 5cm
  2. knee break; I am retraining to break with me knees moving out rather than forward pushing my butt further back
  3. Foot placement; I have moved my toes out to a 45 degree angle rather than front on.

The purpose of these changes is to stop the propensity of my chest leaning forward, and allowing the bar to move up and down in the same plane. This should automatically give me a deeper squat and more control out of the bottom....and bigger lifts.

Lisa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be very interested to follow this progression. Please keep us up to date with how you go. :o) xx

Lisa said...

I can tell you right now I am very sore. I am obviously recruiting slightly different muscles combinations.

Yesterday's training saw more more progress and I think the patterning starting to work.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

It just goes to show that moving forward isn't always the right direction at the right time to be taking. You're going to benefit from this smart move I have no doubt. Best of luck Lisa. :o)

Google Analytics