Thursday, December 13, 2007


The Power of Consistency


Over the past 9 months I have trained for and competed in 3 Powerlifting competitions. I have won a National title, gained selection in the Aust team, and won a silver at the Commonwealth Titles. In this time my total PB has increased by 30kgs from 285kgs to 315kgs. I have not had any injuries that have prevented me from training and my weight has stayed within a 4kg range - despite some serious hypertrophy.


I believe my recent success is due to consistency. As a lot of people in blogger land have a major interest in nutrition I will start there first........


Food
I eat the same types of food day in and day out pre and post comp, with enough variety for sanity. In fact I think the body needs consistency of nutrition more after a comp to heal and wild swings in nutrition not only prevent recovery, they play havoc with your hormones and we all know the downward spiral that leads too.


I invest a serious amount of time to ensure that I have access to the correct nutrition, and it is available when I need to eat it. I make sure that the balance of nutrients is correct every day so I keep my energy levels up while being mindful that I need to keep my weight in check for my weight division. This behaviour is second nature to me and can't imagine eating any way. I love my food.


Just a final note to say that pre and post work out nutrition is key to athletic performance and if anyone is training without nurturing their bodies before or after a work out you have just wasted your training session and lost the opportunity to improve yourself


Supplements
I guess I can say ditto to the above. I have a range of supplements that I take mainly for recovery and maintenance purposes and I follow the same routine daily. The 2 "must haves" for me are fish oil and vital greens.


Recovery & maintenance protocols
I have weekly massages, acupuncture and stretching therapy. I also do sauna protocols 2-3 times a week. The faster you can recover, the stronger you will be and the more you will improve at your next training session. If I am tired I rest. My belief is it is better to do prehab than rehab. Recovery is key.


I know that if I am consistent with all these things, my body will respond. Sometimes it may take time, but it will repond the way my team and I need it to.



Respect your body and it will perform for you


Lisa



Liz Nelson looks after my nutrition, so please visit her if you need help or advice.

2 comments:

Raechelle said...

Great tips!
Congrads again on your achievements!

Lisa said...

Thanks again.

there are no secrets in this & consistency is boring because it means it is all about hard work....but it works for me.

Google Analytics