Saturday, May 12, 2007



Today I am changing my super hero from Wonderwoman to Mighty Mouse; small and fast!

This week has been speed work. Speed deadlift, speed bench and speed squats. It works like this - 1 sequence consists of 5 reps, 6-8 reps with 15 seconds rest - by 3 sets at about 50% 1RM. The rest between sets is about 3 mins. So in total between 90 to 120 reps in about 10 minutes. Yes, it is really hard work.

I know why Nic is training me this way, and the theory behind it, however I guess what is important is what I am getting out of it. After the first few reps, the technique becomes mechanical. The same movement, the same technique; there is no thought involved you just lift. I could feel this most in the squat, and in fact when I was off form on a rep I could feel it and was able to correct my form.

It is very taxing on the cardio vascular system, and it is challenging to get my breathing correct - which caused some headspins between sets. It has also increased my metabolism - I am always hungry and keep waking up in the middle of the night starving.

I found a new sauna yesterday. I love using the sauna for recovery, and I often go after work, however I have been looking for one I can use after training that has a cold plunge pool. Yesterday I went to the Korean Bath House at Apollo's Day spa. The facilities were good, the sauna was HOT, and they have a plunge pool (and hot tub). Best of all it was quite inexpensive - all in all a great find and I intend to become a regular.

Well as it is Mother's Day I am signing off and letting my family take me out for breakfast. I would love to say I am not training today, but Nationals are 11 weeks away and I have one more training session to complete - maybe I will go to the sauna after!

Lisa

2 comments:

Splice said...

Are you kidding? 15 second rest!! You must have been burning.
This is very intensive stuff, but your the gal to handle it :-)
Deb

Lisa said...

I am really struggling. I am fatigued, sore and extremely hungry. I am waking up at night starving, and am only just recovering before my next session. I am doing everything I know for revovery - good nutrition, massage, sauna, recovery cardio - I can't wait for either my body to cope or the training ot change!

Google Analytics