Monday, October 27, 2008

Making sure I get my rest and recovery.

2008 has been a long competitive season, coupled with some major personal and professional changes. When I returned home from the US I had a plan to follow a different Biosignature protocol, including changing my supps and training. I have implemented these changes and was rolling along quite well for the first week, then I noticed that my energy levels weren't quite what they have been in the past, and that I am holding some fat around my mid section. I had a couple of scratches on my elbows that took longer to heal and my elbow injury wasn't recovering in the way I would normally expect....all of this is my body showing me the signs of stress and fatigue. This is completely normal and exactly the reason that I need an off season. However you don't have to be an athlete to earn a period of rest and recovery. In fact rest and recovery is as important as exercise and work.


There are a few things that I am doing to my plan to overcome these symptoms of chronic stress. Firstly I am going keep my focus on my sleep to lower my cortisol; sleep is key if I want to shrink that tummy. Next I am going to bring in the "listen to my body rule", which is if I am feeling too tired to train I won't. I have also put the scales away, and will leave the callipers for client use only. I spend 9 months of the year focusing on a number on the scales, so it is time to leave that stressor for when I need to make weight next year. While party season is approaching I need to be careful to feed my body healthful foods. I will certainly have some treats but I need to remember that to be in prime condition for the beginning of next year it is about quality.


I will continue with my supplement and training protocols, but I am recognising that I am "off season", and that means not only allowing the body to recover, but allowing the mind a break from the pressure as well.



Lisa

No comments:

Google Analytics